Thursday, August 21, 2008

5 Years Later

Today would be our Lizzie's fifth birthday and tomorrow will be five years since her death. I can't believe she would be 5. I love this picture of Drew and Lizzie and I just can't believe how little Drew was. It's amazing how 5 years ago tonight I had no idea how I was going to get through what I was going through and now 5 years later I wouldn't trade it for anything. She has been a huge blessing for our family.
At Lizzies funeral, the kids all let off pink balloons. Drew and Sam decided to make that a tradition. We don't always make it to her grave on her birthday, but they always send her a balloon with a birthday card. Now that they're older they realize she doesn't actually get the balloon, but I think they hope she does. It's just a good way to remember her.

7 comments:

Sandra said...

Thanks for sharing. I think that's a great tradition for the kids. It's amazing, isn't it, how valuable "hindsight" is with the trials we have to face.

Andrea said...

I guess they really do think she gets the balloon. Sam asked me this morning if I thought she got it yet.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about Lizzie the other day - I can't believe that it has been 5 years. I am glad that Drew and Sam still send her a balloon. I think that is a great tradition. It is amazing how such hard and trying times can make you stronger and better than you were before.

Tami said...

I'm so glad you put those pictures in. I loved seeing them send off the balloons. Even though Kobe was just a baby when she was born, he still talks about her all the time. She was such a special sweet baby. And I think you guys are all pretty great too!

jaci said...

That is so neat! What a great tradition! I can't believe that is was 5 years ago. It is amazing how the trials we face make us stronger in the end! It's hard having to face them,but you are such a great example to me on how to get through them. I love you guys!

youreprettytoo said...

Wow- like everyone has said- I can't believe it has been five years either. I very clearly remember sending those balloons off at her funeral. When you come to Salt Lake again, we should get together.

Jenn -- said...

Hey Andrea-
Thanks for the post. We are grateful to have your family in our lives.