
Meet George. That's what Sam named him. He's a salamander that has been living in our window well the last couple weeks. He made himself a little house and every once in a while he comes out. This is a picture of him just sticking his head out of his house. We told the kids he can live in our window well as long as he wants as long as nobody touches or catches him. Personally, I think he's pretty disgusting. Now I just need to know how George got in our window well. Where do salamanders even come from? And, what are they? He looks like a cross between a frog and a lizard. So I did a little research and I have some very disturbing news. Apparently this type of salamander is a tiger salamander. They like to live underground. Their breeding season is late August to mid September. They are usually not seen unless breeding. They find little puddles to lay their eggs. Unfortunately, we haven't seen a salamander until a couple weeks ago, breeding season. The first time we saw him (or her) was during a rain storm and yes there was a little water in the window well. I'm starting to wonder if we are going to have baby salamanders soon. I guess the good news is that they will go back underground. I also found out that adult salamanders eat bugs, worms, and baby mice. This pet is as good as a cat except I don't have to feed it and empty it's litter box and I can leave it in the window well.
6 comments:
Crazy! I'll have to keep my eyes out here, then!
I love pets that you don't have to feed or pick up their poop. I call one of the babies for my kids. That's as good as a puppy isn't it?
He's so cute! and I would have to agree, great pet, it takes care of itself and earns its keep. Can't get much better than that, I guess.
Watch out, Sam might have that thing in your kitchen one of these days. All of a sudden I am very glad I don't have window wells.
If you ever come visit us, which we haven't been holding our breath (6 years without oxygen would kill you), please bring George with you. Molly would love to play with him.
So I finally get to meet the famous salamander. He is pretty cute!
Post a Comment